Things you need to know
Received a notification from the Dutch Tax Authorities to file?
- File your tax return before the due date
Entered or left the Netherlands during the year?
- File an M-form, even when you were not invited to file, as normally you are entitled to a refund of taxes
Intent to stay in the Netherlands for a longer period?
- Register yourself at the Dutch Municipality and deregister yourself when you leave
Do you make use of the pre-filled tax return when preparing your taxes?
- Make sure you double check all the information
Do you benefit from the 30%-ruling?
- You can opt to be treated as a partial non-resident taxpayer. As such you are not taxable on income from savings and investments (Box 3 income) except for Dutch real estate
Do you own a principal residence in the Netherlands which is financed with a mortgage?
- You can deduct the mortgage interest payments and the mortgage related costs
Unsure about how to file your taxes?
When to expect a refund of taxes?
- When you entered or left the Netherlands sometime during the year
- When you have a principal residence in the Netherlands financed with a mortgage
- When you made charitable contributions
- When you made alimony payments to a former spouse
- When you have extraordinary health expenses that were not reimbursed by your health insurance company
- When you are a US national who benefits from the 30%-ruling and you have workdays outside the Netherlands
- When you have a child below the age of 12 and both, you and your fiscal partner, are working